Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Two Sorts of Perfect Film

In my opinion there are two sorts of perfect film.

There’s the film that tells a story perfectly like the original ‘King Kong’, ‘Spirited Away’, ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ and the Japanese original of ‘Dark Water’.

Then there is the film that is nothing more that a wild and bonkers ride that causes the viewer, me, to laugh out loud with joy as I am embraced by it's wonders.

This includes films like the time-traveling dwarf fantasy ‘Time Bandits’ (which, as far as I’m concerned, is way better than the grumpy and adolescent ‘Brazil’), the period-drama, ninja-native American, giant maid-eating monster film ‘The Brotherhood of the Wolf’ and, now added to my list as of Saturday night, the slap-stick, martial-arts, ghostly romance, Taoist musical that is ‘Chinese Ghost Story’.

It’s even got stop-motion revenants in it. What a fantastic film, does anyone know if one can get the sound track on CD?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home